Monday, July 24, 2017

Baylor Jazz In Greece - Day 8

This was one of the most rewarding days I have had as musician.  It wasn't because it was an amazing playing experience, even though the band played amazingly well, it wasn't because we played in the most amazing hall, or because we collaborated with the most amazing musicians.....It's because we brought Joy.

Today started out relaxed.  Another sleep in day.  We met all together, and had some individual practice time, and then we ate yet another amazing meal at the church.  We are so spoiled!  The food is unreal!

Then we helped to collect the bags of food and eggs to take to the refugees.  The donations from our Cd's paid for all of this food we wanted to give out tonight!




Then we rode the metro to our next gig.  An abandoned school that they have turned into a place to live for refugees from Syria.  We got in and got set up and the second we started playing, the smiles and dancing started.  Music and dance are such universal languages.

It was so much fun.  Kids and adults smiling.  Us taking their pictures, them taking ours.  They recorded us and danced and shook our hands.  It was amazing.  I talked to "my kiddos" (my band)
about how different these people are than the ones we hear about or see on TV.  They are people just like us.  I just hope that we showed them the same.  That this is the best of the people in the USA.  I am so proud of all my "kids."  We played Jazz for MANY people that had never heard it before. 

The Quote of the night....(I was talking to three gentlemen from Damascus, Syria and one spoke English)  He thanked me and all three shook my hand and he said, "Thank you, Thank you for coming here and playing for us.  You brought us Joy.  Sometimes we go weeks or months without Joy, and today, you brought us Joy.  Did you see looks of the faces of these people?'   I replied, "Did you see the looks on the faces of my band?  Tonight, we also had Joy!"

 The beginning of the first tune, they are still trying to figure us out.



 Chandler wailing on "Georgia on My Mind!"


 And the dancing started!!


 "Sassy" Sally soloing from the back row!


 Spencer found a fan!!


 We may have had a few extra notes being played tonight!!


 The band in the school yard.


 Going out to dance during "In the Mood"


 Everyone was smiling and clapping and dancing all night long.


 "When the Saints" with our Dixie group.  What a perfect song for today.  
We felt blessed to be there!!


 They were all around us!


 I got to dance with some little kids too!




Then after we played, they wanted to show us some of their traditional dances.

  
 Ivan joined in on the first dance!


 Brandon, joined the second dance.


We were able to pass out lollipops and suckers to the kids.

 Brady rocking his solo! 


 This little guy wanted to see my music.  He's a future big band conductor.




And this little guy entertained us with new ways to use trombone mutes!!  

I hope that we let them see the real America today.  I know that my life was changed today by meeting these great people.  People that are so different than what you hear about on TV.  and I am constantly amazed by the power of music.  I can't speak to them, but we start playing and they can't help but smile and dance.  Pure Joy!!

More tomorrow...

Thanks for following us on our journey.  
The Baylor Jazz Ensemble



2 comments:

  1. Wow, great pics! I can't stop looking at them.. Just wish I could also hear the music! ☺️

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! Praying for you guys.

    Fletch Wiley

    ReplyDelete

Baylor Jazz In Texas.... We are all back and accounted for (except for Eli, because he stayed in Greece with his family!) What an amazin...